General Motors Sr Design Release Engineer - Audio Systems - ENG0039185 in Warren, Michigan
In this role, you will be responsible for the design, development, validation and release of Audio Systems into General Motors vehicles across the globe. The components released include Speakers, Amplifiers, Active Noise Cancellation Modules and Microphones.
• Packaging and releasing of Audio System components into GM global vehicles.
• Chair cross-functional Product Development Teams (PDT).
• Create and approve Component Technical Specifications (CTS) & Statement of Requirements (SOR) and support sourcing activities and technical reviews
• Exercises technical direction over supplier/supplier engineers and engineering support personnel
• Lead and direct supplier resident engineers in release activities.
• Will work with the BFO (Bill of materials Family Owner) to fine tune and implement system requirements, participate in the selection of the right suppliers, and optimize integration into vehicles.
• Lead overall communication, coordination and consultation with engineering departments and customers.
• Participate in compartment integration team discussions and finding balanced design solutions that meet audio system performance requirements.
• Defend Audio System Performance Requirements and Audio System Strategy at Program Specific meetings such as CIT’s, POPS, VAPIR
• Develop software and hardware development plans.
• Ensure all audio system imperatives are met.
• Coordinate and Implement engineering changes.
• Create and balance requirements across systems.
• Release parts and subsystems for production.
• Lead and execute DFSS studies and implement results.
• Address and resolve all safety and compliance issues based on CAE analysis and physical evaluation.
• Represent GM in vendor and/or customer contacts.
• Release final designs for manufacturing or purchase as appropriate.
• Manage multiple vehicle programs/suppliers simultaneously.
• Organize peer reviews and participate in other peer reviews.
• Stay abreast of new technology and competitive products.
• Travel as required
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent
• At least 5-7 years of relevant experience
• Ability to prioritize and balance multiple activities
• Problem solving proficiency
• Very good oral and written communication skills
• Very good interpersonal skills: ability to work within GM, with suppliers, and with program teams
• Personal computer application and internet experience (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access)
• Ability to self-motivate / self-direct
• Understanding of engineering theory, principles and operation of electrical and automotive systems.
• Knowledge of automotive mechanics, audio systems, acoustics and physics.
• Knowledge and experience working with the calibration release and automotive manufacturing process.
Basic Preferred Qualifications
• Knowledge and experience with design release system and process
• Knowledge and experience with calibration release process
• Knowledge and experience with manufacturing process
• Knowledge and experience with vehicle validation process
• Design for Six Sigma training and experience
• Experience with microcontrollers
• Experience with software development plans
• Knowledge of vehicle data communication systems (CAN, LVDS, LIN, ETHERNET)
• Knowledge of vehicle safety requirements (e.g., FMVSS, etc.)
• In-depth knowledge of requirements engineering process (FMEA, DFSS)