General Motors Senior Process Engineer (Die Shop) - MFE0005119 in Warren, Michigan
About Us: At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing our industry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our 202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speak more than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who are looking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
Job Details: The Die Engineer in the Advanced Die Manufacturing Engineering organization will be responsible for overseeing die design and construction in the engineering and execution of sheet metal stamping parts. The individual will work with hourly process engineers and die designers, advanced and current product engineers, manufacturing engineers, Die and Body simultaneous engineers, die construction sources and program management to develop part processing and die designs for upcoming program parts and support production stamping needs to resolve die output concerns.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review part data levels to identify required changes based on manufacturability and process feasibility
- Ensure all die designs adhere to best practices and are of a high quality in nature
- Collaborate with Product Development and Simultaneous Engineering to provide manufacturability requirements
- Drive compliance to die execution deliverables at die supplier facilities.
- Be able to manage personnel day to day activities such as job assignments, payroll, miscellaneous support, training, and communications.
- Drive and Support Business Plan initiatives in Safety, People, Quality, Responsiveness, Cost and Environment
- Drive and support GMS initiatives
- Oversee the implementation of Standardized Work and company policies for engineering and design employees
- Coordinate die supplier activities to identify changes to investment estimates based on die content required by part process versus initial financial assumptions
- Coordinate quality iterations at die supplier locations in order to achieve desired manufacturing build results.
- Support Die Program Management teams through manufacturing build events while dies on in construction.
- Support the team to generate technical solutions for current, new and major programs
- Perform complex design analysis
- Provide direction and support to his team to develop engineering die processes
- Review engineering changes
- Support Material utilization initiatives, including wave blank implementation and offal integration for applicable parts
- Review and resolve manufacturability requirements with Simultaneous Engineering and Product Development
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with engineering departments and customers
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Drive in die supplier deliverables throughout primary tryout activities.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Manufacturing Engineering in Die & Stamping
- Knowledge of die engineering and design of stamped sheet metal parts
- Knowledge of sheet metal formability
- Knowledge of transfer and conventional press line configuration
- Basic computer skills
- Basic Siemens NX Unigraphics
- Basic Vis Mockup skills
- Understanding of VDP timing and key milestone events
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectivelywith others
- Exhibits appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods towork effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals
- Specific knowledge of engineering disciplines (e.g. mechanics,physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, controlsystems) within job-related area
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
- Knowledge of engineering software and systems as it pertains tojob-related area
- Four or more years’ experience in job-related area
- Ability to travel as required
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 5 years of ME experience in Stamping (EE or IE alsoacceptable)
- Knowledge of high strength steel stamping applications
- Familiar with Siemens NX Die Engineering Tools
- Familiar with Autoform software
- Experience in Manufacturing Process Engineering
- Supplier quality and/or Product Engineering experience is a plus
- Knowledge of die engineering processes, die integration into presssystems, project management or process control are a plus
- Abilityto work in a global organization