General Motors Product Designer - User Experience - ENG0037412 in Warren, Michigan
Product Designer, User Experience
Do you have a passion for user-centered problem-solving and storytelling? Are you obsessed with studying, understanding and responding to human needs? Do you want to create engaging products that solve real problems and create unique emotional experiences? Then imagine what you can do working with a like-minded, multi-disciplinary team in our User Experience group.
Our growing User Experience team is seeking passionate and talented Product Designers to create customer-facing User Interfaces across multiple brands and digital platforms. Our work touches millions of lives across In-Vehicle, Web, Mobile and Wearable interfaces.
As a Product Designer , you would collaborate with designers, strategists, technologists, and business stakeholders to craft meaningful experiences for our customers through thoughtful design. The ideal candidate will have strong blend of visual and interaction design skills, an understanding of and commitment to user-centered design, and have experience designing digital products.
Product Designers will support multi-disciplinary teams focused on translating human needs into viable product concepts using iterative, human-centered design. Leveraging our Design System, you will create cohesive cross-channel experiences for Cockpit Driving Experiences, Comfort, Safety, Ownership, Entertainment, Connectivity and Navigation.
- Collaborate closely with team members to craft world-class user experiences across all products and platforms for vehicle safety features
- Balance user needs, technical constraints, and business objectives to solve problems effectively
- Craft interaction designs, being the champion of usability and user-centered design principles
- Facilitate workshops and collaborative design activities with stakeholders and users
- Measure and analyze user experience research and testing to validate designs, get user feedback, and identify opportunities to improve the customer experience
- Work with product owners and key stakeholders to brainstorm and identify opportunities, executing them as a flawless part of the overall user experience
- Create design deliverables to communicate your work including sketches, logic and flow, prototypes, wireframes, graphics, and specifications.
Empathy: You are curious about how other people work, live, and think, you will enjoy meeting the users of our products, and thinking about design by visualizing yourself as one who will use it.
Creativity: You have the ability to generate numerous potential solutions to a problem. More importantly, product designers can screen out bad ideas and identify good ones. In our design environment, a designer needs the ability to brainstorm without ego attachment to any particular idea.
Superb communication skills: You can communicate broad concepts as well as fine detail through written and graphical media. You can convey design solutions through sketches and visualizations, as well as through prose.
A quick study: You have the ability to understand systems and processes, both in software and in the real world. You will be required to digest and understand the many complex factors that govern vehicle design, from social and peer norms to a multinational regulatory environment. You will be able to successfully navigate those factors as you create design solutions.
Outstanding collaboration skills: You are an effortless collaborator. You welcome ideas from any source, and are prepared to build on them to make the work of your team successful.
- Experience creating digital interfaces for web, mobile, or in-vehicle interfaces
- Strong portfolio with work samples showcasing expertise in user experience design, craft, aesthetics, and depth of thought
- Successful track record for bringing digital products to market
- Open to feedback, knows how give and receive criticism, and how and when to defend design decisions
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Proficient in common design tools like Axure, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Interests aligned with Tech and Automotive industries
- Automotive experience a plus but not required
- Experience incorporating research into the design process, including contextual inquiry, usability testing, heuristic evaluation, etc
- Knowledge of design thinking methods
- Prototyping experience (software and/or hardware development experience a plus)
Education and Experience
- 3+ years designing digital products
- Degree in HCI, Product Design, Interaction Design, Visual Design or related.
*This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis*