General Motors Machine Learning Data Scientist - ENG0036397 in Warren, Michigan
The Machine Learning Data Scientist will be responsible for classifying data into vehicle safety events using customer complaint, engineering, crash, telematics, and vehicle sensor data. To enable this classification effort, data understanding, statistical analysis, machine learning models, and/or deep learning methods will be applied by the data scientist. This work will support vehicle safety emerging issue identification and product investigation analytics support. Must be analytical, adaptable, and detail oriented, producing high quality and accurate work product.
- Apply and develop appropriate statistical, machine learning, and/or deep learning models and algorithms to classify structured or unstructured data into safety hazard categories or other classifications.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Safety, Engineering, R&D, Quality and IT) to understand business challenges and develop analytical solutions to optimize business processes.
- Collect sample data using statistical techniques.
- Test performance of machine learning and deep learning models.
- Understand vehicle safety data and how to use it appropriately in data analysis.
- Perform analysis using industry leading text mining, data mining, and analytical tools and open source software.
- Must be willing to read some verbatim comments to understand essence of potential safety issues.
- Present analytical approaches and results to internal audiences by synthesizing complex data and concepts into easy-to comprehend, comprehensive, and cohesive presentations.
- Support development of ontology and taxonomy for safety issues to ensure text mining is comprehensive.
- Provide infrastructure requirements to IT to run deep learning models.
- Participate in technical conferences, meetings, panels and other vehicle safety forums.
- Master’s degree in Applied Statistics/Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research or related field.
- 5+ years of work experience in Analytics or Business Intelligence.
- 3+ years of experience with statistical modeling and machine learning.
- Highly proficient with analytical/predictive modeling software. (Python/R/or similar)
- Strong understanding and experience with predictive / analytical modeling techniques, theories, principles, and practices.
- Ability to effectively work with a team of data scientists exchanging knowledge.
- Ability to effectively communicate results and methodologies; must be comfortable presenting to executive leadership.
- Experience with data preparation, rationalization, and processing on big data.
- Hands-on text analytics in a corporate setting.
- Experience in Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Natural Language Understanding (NLU).
- Hands-on deep learning application (Tensorflow, Torch, Caffe or Theano) in a corporate setting.
- Experience with feature enrichment.
- Big data technology experience (Spark, Hadoop, Hive SQL). Experience with Hadoop and Hive tables.
- Comfortable working with Unix and Linux.
- Understanding of vehicle safety technologies including design intent, function and intended performance in the field.
- Knowledge of GM IT systems and processes, especially in the areas of Engineering, Quality/Warranty, Customer Care and Aftersales, or OnStar.
- Five or more years of experience in vehicle development or validation of safety related systems or components.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and regulations.
- Experience with dealing with both structured and unstructured data.
- Multilingual competency is a plus.
- Must be a self-starter/strong drive for results.
- Willingness to learn new skills and methods as needed – continuous learning mindset.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.