General Motors Integration Design Engineer – (Seats) - ENG0042256 in Warren, Michigan
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for GeneralMotors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, ZeroEmissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionateabout creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to getaround. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed howthe world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how wemove today and in the future.
Why work for us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, wheredifferences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to yourfullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety ofwork environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platformsto inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to supportemployee volunteer interests and make it a priority to join together in effortsthat give back to our communities.
The primary line of engineering support for ArchitectureIntegration, responsible for optimizing seat component layout and interfacewhile reconciling inputs and requirements from Vehicle Design Studios and EngineeringFunctions to yield benchmark-level seats for GM.
- Lead cross-functional Compartment Integration Team meetings to integrate (package and optimize) all the parts and subsystems taking input from SMT's, human factors, manufacturing, dimensional engineering, etc.
- Lead the resolution of vehicle packaging issues utilizing physical and math model reviews through the integration teams / Design Review process
- Create concepts and develop proposals to resolve issues
- Leverage DFSS & Enterprise Cost Optimization tools as appropriate to study alternatives while considering impacts such as cost, mass, timing, design for assembly, dimensional variation and quality
- Develop meeting agendas and publish minutes
- Document open issues in online system, share status, drive resolution and communicate closure. Escalate issues to management when necessary.
- Stay informed of Voice of the Customer data and leverage it developing solutions
- Ensure that packaging and Studio model are balanced with customer facing targets (Spaciousness, Visibility, Occupant accommodation, Storage/SALT, Cargo, Access)
- Benchmark the competition and ensure that the integrated package is competitive (section size, clearances, component locations, component size, functional performance, etc.)
- Use Corporate Best Practices as required
- Develop and maintain NX skills, creating NX models for surface guidance
- Support physical mock-up activities as needed
- Ensure all seat components are accounted for and packaged to meet engineering and program requirements
- Develop space claims and package solutions to meet customer needs while maximizing the utilization of space
- Lead the development of seat design criteria
- Develop criteria to support surface development while balancing all requirements
- Develop typical and design execution sections (DES)
- Support Math Virtual Assessments & Synch Point reviews
- 2+ years’ experience in a related area
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of automotive design
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others
- General interest in product design, particularly automotive
- General interest and ability to integration complex systems
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes
- Demonstrated skills on CAD - Unigraphics systems
- Basic understanding of Engineering Specifications
- College degree with a major in engineering or established substitute (Technical associates + Mich. Tech Univ. DE Certificate during DE transition period)
- Engineering Degree (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering
- SMT Seat experience
- Courses preferred: Statistics, Mechanics of materials, Vehicle/occupant packaging, Integrated Design
- DFSS Certification
- General Motors Jobs