General Motors Engineering Analysis – SIR Sensing and Occupant Protection Technical Expert - ENG0037079 in Warren, Michigan
Engineering Analysis – SIR Sensing and Occupant Protection Technical Expert will provide engineering expertise for the technical assessment of the field performance of GM vehicles while also providing expertise and training to others with similar roles in GM’s other global markets, and sharing technical experience and field experience with Global Product Development for current and future programs.
- Provide technical expertise and support regarding vehicle SIR sensing systems and occupant protection and restraint systems to GM's trial counsel and GM Legal Staff in product liability litigation claims against GM.
- Collect and analyze product field performance information and data of GM products.
- Assess the technical merits of product liability claims and lawsuits and represent GM in such matters.
- Assist counsel in developing case strategy and in the technical discovery process.
- Provide evaluation by way of reports, depositions, affidavits and trial testimony.
- Coordinate engineering tests and the preparation of trial exhibits.
- Communicate with product design activities to provide field relative data to assist in current and future product design.
- Participate in GM, government and industry-related technical committees and conferences.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in design, testing or manufacturing
- Recognized expertise in airbag sensing and occupant restraint systems
- Knowledge of occupant performance and crashworthiness aspects of design and development
- Excellent analytical skills – position involves analyses of GM product performance – analyses may be critically evaluated by others (including external to GM)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a multitude of assignments under a tight, demanding schedule
- High level of interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally to grow relationships and partnerships
- Good computer skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrates exemplary honesty, integrity and trust
- Sensitivity toward the confidential nature of litigation-related issues
- Must be action oriented, high initiative individual that is able to work independently with minimal leadership direction/supervision
- Ability and willingness to work in team-focused work environment
- Ability to travel extensively and on short notice throughout the U.S.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience:
- Master of Science degree in Engineering
- Demonstrated technical leadership: published technical papers, patent awards, active participation in technical organizations/committees
- Prior experience in occupant restraints, airbag, crash sensing occupant performance design and/or performance
- Knowledge of various occupant restraints, airbag, crash sensing occupant performance design, development, and testing practices spanning the past 10 years or more