Citizens Property Insurance Corporation Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager in United States
Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager
Location: Tampa, FL
Position Number: 00182
PRIMARY FUNCTION: This is a management position that provides guidance and leadership to commercial underwriting staff. The position is responsible for managing the Commercial Lines Wind and Multiperil underwriting book of business by controlling the underwriting results and maximizing the quality of insurance written.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION. THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED.
· Facilitate a work environment that fosters and supports ethical decision-making and actions by motivating, promoting and modeling ethical behavior, as well as executing job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values and ethics policies.
· Responsible for managing staff, which includes recruiting, hiring, training, conducting performance reviews, coaching, counseling, and disciplining staff.
· Assist in establishing policy and procedure, developing strategic goals and objectives and providing direction, support and leadership.
· Provide direct oversight for day to day commercial underwriting and implement underwriting rules.
· Analyze effectiveness of underwriting rules and communicate suggested revisions to product development department.
· Monitor the quantity and quality of work performed by the business unit. Accountable for effective implementation of and adherence to established business processes and underwriting rules.
· Establish and adjust staff and workflows to facilitate the most efficient use of resources and provide the best possible service to internal and external customers.
· Explain coverage specifics to staff, insured, claims, and other business unit managers.
· Aids in the creation and development of new forms, practices, and procedures.
· Gives presentations to staff and varied management personnel.
· Establish and monitor business unit processing standards and performance objectives.
· Resolve or recommend resolutions for significant underwriting and operational issues.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree in field with skills transferable to insurance OR combination of or education, work experience equivalent to four years of college.
· Six years of professional property / casualty underwriting experience, four of which are in commercial underwriting.
· 2 or more years in a supervisory/managerial role in Operations in the property insurance industry.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Strong knowledge of commercial underwriting principles, practices, and procedures.
· Strong knowledge of commercial property coverage and ISO commercial forms and rules.
· Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of management and staff.
· Ability to prioritize projects, make decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
· Advanced skill level using PC and software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
· Strong quantitative and analytical skills, to include the ability to develop appropriate recommendations.
· Strong planning and organization skills.
· Ability to provide effective leadership and build a team composed of diverse personalities.
· Ability to travel occasionally.
· Master’s degree.
· Possession of IIA Certificate in General Insurance, CPCU, AU or CIC.
· 3 or more years of supervisory/managerial experience in Commercial Underwriting setting.
· Thorough knowledge of Citizens Operations, systems, and procedures.
This position requires the ability to walk around business unit to observe performance and provide technical assistance to staff as required and ability to sit for long periods of time; hear and converse over the telephone and key frequently on a computer (4 to 6 or more hours per day). Position may require occasional overnight travel.