General Motors Senior Component Cost Engineer - GPS0003357 in Pontiac, Michigan
Develop true cost analysis in collaboration with Design Engineers, Purchasing Buyers and Supplier Development Engineers throughout the Global Powertrain Development Process (GPDP). Develop and utilize competitive component and system cost analysis to recommend robust cost effective solutions. Articulate available estimates, cost drivers, and content tradeoffs to Product Teams. Drive cost effective decisions to meet program financial targets, while supporting the execution of class leading propulsion systems and vehicles for our customers. This position involves a high level of independent judgment, initiative, and creativity. The successful candidate will possess strong leadership skills and detailed project aptitude.
- Develop component cost models/estimates by translating part design and manufacturing process knowledge through use of activity based costing methods.
- Provide cost expertise to the Engineering organization to enable effective design content tradeoff analysis.
- Collaborate with Product Team members to drive a “design to cost” mentality, identify and communicate component/system cost drivers to achieve lowest possible cost solutions.
- Maintain alignment between the Engineering BOM (in the BA/GPDP Phases) and the Program Costbook for assigned component responsibilities.
- Complete and submit Allowable Cost via the eSOR process.
- Support Purchasing team during sourcing negotiations with suppliers.
- Support the GPS Sourcing Board for Pre-RFQ, Update, and Recommendation reviews.
- Develop, evaluate and provide competitive benchmarking cost analysis.
- Collaborate/coordinate with local and global counterparts to estimate costs and to improve cost knowledge in all manufacturing locations.
- Provide feedback to the Cost Engineering organization to improve methods, tools, and knowledge.
- Drive cost conscious behavior throughout the organization.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 3 years of experience in costing of material components, preferably those used or related to propulsion systems.
- Adept at working with a complex bill of materials to cost components.
- Detailed understanding of manufacturing processes and assembly techniques.
- Ability to prioritize projects within time constraints.
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities where problems are complex.
- Ability to network and collaborate cross-functionally to enhance cost knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to teamwork and partnerships.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Highly proficient personal computer skills, technology driven.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experienced in product development and/or manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of accounting principles.
- Knowledge of Global Cost Engineering processes and procedures.
Education and Training:
- REQUIRED – Bachelor’s degree with a major in Engineering or technology, or equivalent work experience.
- PREFERRED – Master’s degree in Business Administration or related advanced degree.