ZF Sr. Embedded Software Engineer in Northville, Michigan
Sr. Embedded Software Engineer
Responsible leader in the engineering of the embedded software controlling various products, including transmission control units and shifters.
• Serve as the embedded software engineering expert for the engineering department. Guide the various stages of software development and application.
• Define and develop functional and software requirements from various sources including customer specifications/requirements, input from Marketing/Sales and input from other team members. Develop required functional specifications for the software.
• Perform safety analyses and define safety functions.
• Define software architecture to meet functional requirements and other organizational standards.
• Coordinate software development across multiple developers and locations.
• Design functional models (Simulink) and software (C/C++) to implement the defined requirements.
• Develop test specifications and test cases to ensure all requirements are met
. • Execute functional tests to ensure resulting software meets all requirements.
• Integrate software modules from multiple developers into a single package for distribution to our plants.
• Perform required integration testing to ensure final package works correctly.
• Develop required PC based test tools/programs to support overall software development process.
• Work with hardware engineers to optimize overall system design and achieve desired hardware/software partitioning.
• Take action necessary to develop alternatives to problems and/or schedule delays, resolve problem and recommend ways to recover lost project time.
• Report progress on a regular basis to manager and program manager(s).
• Apply CAN and LIN bus Design knowledge to design systems that allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle.
• Collaborate with Hardware engineers in order to implement systems engineering strategies based on V-Model principles
• Work with development teams and customers during beta testing, pre-production testing and final product implementation.
• Participate in continuous improvement programs and provide support to team efforts.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Ensure compliance with the ZF Quality Management System requirements (ZF QMS) which includes IATF 16949, ISO 9001 and Customer Specific Requirements (CSR).
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering or Computer Science (Master’s preferred).
• 7 – 8+ years of experience in relevant software development positions and leading technical projects. • Solid programming in C or C++
• Model based software engineering using Simulink
• Knowledge of SysML and UML • Knowledge of CAN, LIN and other automotive communication protocols • A mix of hardware and software knowledge
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Knowledge of Functional Safety Standard: ISO-26262.
• Ability to influence and engage at multiple levels within internal and external organizations
• Excellent project and planning abilities
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities
• Superior interpersonal, communications and listening skills
• Strong drive for teamwork with a customer-oriented approach to projects
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft® Word and Excel
• English language competency – both oral and written
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Experience in the Automotive and/or Electronics industries
• Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting
• Experience with SAP and/or Axalant
• Experience with Microsoft® Project
• Experience with LabVIEW
• Experience with requirements management using DOORS
• German and/or Spanish language skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.