ZF Senior Resident Engineer in Northville, Michigan
Senior Resident Engineer
Position Summary:The Senior Resident Engineer – E/E is responsible for representing internal engineering departments, supporting on-site customer product development initiatives, and ensuring the seamless and timely integration of ZF products into customer engineering projects, in addition to serving as a technical liaison for all engineering applications during product development at the respective customer site.
Location: Northville / at Customer (50% each)
• Sustain all resident engineering activities, which include but are not limited to, verifying content and accuracy of E/E related releases (ECU, Mechatronics components, and SW), attend customer meetings, and develop reports.
• Position will require resident engineering support at FCA. (On site presence 50%)
• Attend customer meetings including FMEA and design reviews, Project coordination meetings, etc.
• Preparation of agendas and minutes for these meetings.
• Prepare/summarize reports/data for customer presentation
• Responsible to effectively communicate customer needs/requirement onto to project team
• Provide precise requirements and specifications, from which change requests can be made (SW and ECU/Mechatronic components)
• Provide engineering direction to HW- and SW-developers
• Verify content and accuracy of releases and documentation
• Ensure all work products comply with customer and ZF standards
• Issue detailed test requests and support the internal test department to ensure project timing
• Responsible for coordination, planning and execution of DFMEAs, DVP&Rs, and all other design/release documents (system, subsystem, & component)
• Active participation in the APQP process, PFMEAs, Control Plans & VA/VE
• Provides cost reduction recommendations
• Participate in problem solving and recommend corrective action
• Confer with project team to develop a work plan and prioritize tasks
• Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, formal training, reviewing professional publications, establishing and expanding professional networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Comply with all company and TS16949 policies and procedures.
• Support test bench activities (Electrical bench, Plywood buck benches, architecture prototype), able to read circuit diagrams, perform tests, create reports on findings, troubleshoot wire harnesses etc.
• Able to modify software to resolve problems found in integration testing and send patches back to core development team
• Assist in development of FCA Diagnostic functions for product
• Keep track of progress and communicate FCA schedule to product development teams
• Software and Data File release into FCA SharePoint system
• Support EMC test activities at FCA and facilitate any required design changes
• Prepare project plans, track vehicle timing requirements and part availability dates
• Perform electrical packaging and bracket design studies
• Participate in Module packaging in vehicle
• Assist with the updating of system requirements
• Assist with root cause, resolution and verification of system issues and test incidents
• Support Vehicle Assembly Center launch of product – including preproduction launch activities
• Support vehicle development activities, rides and sub-system buy-off events
• Perform hardware , software and/or, calibration updates to preproduction and MVB vehicles and benches (Track the usage of vehicles and benches when necessary)
• Perform monthly warranty tracking of part performance in field
• Provide support during controller and vehicle calibration development trips
• Create, maintain and release the ECU specific xml file
• Re-flash Coordination at Assembly Plant
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electrical Engineering preferred)
• 7-8+ years of engineering experience in a product development and/or manufacturing environment (includes co-op and/or internship experience)
• Advanced reading, mathematical, written and verbal communication skills, mechanical and technical skills
• Working knowledge of technical aspects of applications engineering and product design/development (specifically within an automotive context)
• Computer literacy in basic PC based office software including software spreadsheets and able to use product specific calculation software
• Proficient with Microsoft Office software
• Ability to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel/management
• Ability to provide creative and practical design solutions to meet customer specifications typically associated with 5-10 years’ experience in product engineering positions
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledgeable on Software Life Cycle, software project planning
• Able to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities (i.e. self-starter, self-motivated)
• Good organizational skills - must be able to manage several projects efficiently
• English language competency
• Proficient with in-vehicle communication bus technology (e.g. CAN, Flexray, UDS)
• Ability/willingness to travel (up to 25%)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Software, etc.)
• 5+ years of experience as a resident engineer within a Drivetrain Control Systems development and/or manufacturing environment (specifically within automotive industry)
• Good knowledge of FCA design systems to support weekly activities
• Good Knowledge of C/C++, Model Based Design (e.g. MATLAB/Simulink, dSPACE)
• Experience with data acquisition tools (e.g. CANalyzer, CANape, etc.)
• Deep knowledge of the technical components and critical functions of Powered Axle systems
• Experience with Cybersecurity (Key provisioning, etc) and Functional Safety (ISO 26262)
• Experience with requirement definition using structured analysis methods
• Experience with electromagnetic compatibility design, development or testing
• German language skills
ZF North America, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ZF North America, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. ZF North America, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ZF North America, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.