Grant Thornton LLP Global Mobility Senior Associate in Chicago, Illinois
Grant Thornton is collaborative, entrepreneurial and on the move. As part of a dynamic global organization of 42,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
Global Mobility Senior Associate – Visa & Immigration Services *
The Global Mobility Senior Associate, Visa & Immigration Services (MSAVI) serves as the Visa/Immigration (V&I) specialist for the firmwide Mobility function, supporting all aspects of the visa and immigration processes. The MSAVI is responsible for collaborating with the National People & Culture operational and functional areas (HR Operations, National Talent Acquisition, Strategic Learning, Employee Relations, HR Delivery, and Diversity & Inclusion), firm leaders, and the Director of Mobility Services to provide distinctive service to the employees and Partners of the firm to meet their needs related to V&I services.
Reporting to the leader of Mobility Services, the MSAVI is as a key member of the Mobility Services infrastructure in the support of firmwide mobility goals and objectives. While demonstrating flexibility, adaptability and initiative, the MSAVI is responsible for the delivery of all types of V&I services including those for new and existing foreign national employees, international recruitment candidates, and the firm’s international business travelers. The MSAVI will be expected to independently coordinate and administer firm V&I processes and services for partners and employees across the firm, exercising sound judgement in meeting both firm and individual needs, while managing risk and adhering to regulatory standards.
- Operate as a consultant to the business in providing advice and support for all V&I related services
- Overall management of current V&I programs
- Assess current V&I program against internal feedback and external market trends and identify, recommend and implement strategic and operational program changes to support the firm’s growth strategy and unique talent development and deployment needs
- Continuously develop technical knowledge of immigration legislation/regulation and participate in re-engineering of processes in response to new compliance requirements
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with HR and business leadership across all geographies as V&I subject matter expert
- Forge and maintain relationships with V&I partners/vendors and delivering the operational processes, programs and policies to support and execute on our firm’s talent strategy.
- Lead multiple initiatives to enhance V&I programs, drive efficiencies, and identify creative solutions to meet the needs of a rapidly increasing global and mobile employee base.
- Consult with and educate HR and business leaders on V&I regulations and guidelines to ensure consistent and applicable immigration support
- Develops communications on immigration related time sensitive updates
- Partner with HR, Recruiting and business leaders to ensure timeliness and accuracy infiling visa petitions, green card applications, management of the PERM Recruitment process and keeping key stakeholders informed of all immigration activities
- Assists foreign nationals with immigration procedures, answers inquiries and educates on immigration related information
- Provides guidance on all US V&I compliance matters to firm leaders, HR business partners, talent acquisition staff and employees including but not limited to visa process practices for business travel to other countries as well as V&I processes to support hiring of non-US citizens
- Supervises mobility staff in completion of, and ensures accuracy in the immigration application filings related to employment-based Non-Immigrant and Immigrant petitions, including PERM applications.
- Drive I-9 compliance for firm – providing training and oversight to HR staff in I-9 completion and reverification
- Monitoring of I-9 reverification for firm to ensure compliance and excellence in this area
- Provides training and in person guidance to foreign nationals, recruiters, human resource professionals and the business on immigration related matters
- Provide subject matter expertise and ensure firm compliance with appropriate regulations/guidelines
- Responsible for ensuring all paperwork, including applications for immigration and visas are completed accurately and in a timely manner, in partnership with external counsel
- A high level of professionalism, maturity, and flexibility are required for consultations and issue resolution at varying times during the day (including evening or early mornings)
- Partner with external vendors to prepare feasibility analysis for V&I cases, obtain approvals, and track V&I cases
- Manage outside partner relationships with global immigration counsel and other immigration partners
- Monitor all active immigration cases, research and address/resolve complex assignment issues, including escalations; identify and communicate service resolution to all parties
- Involvement with policy development and interpretation; provide counseling relative to policies to employees at all levels, (up to and including executive level)
- Collaborate with Mobility leader on solutions to drive efficiencies in reporting and tracking
- Develop proper infrastructure and data analytics to ensure visibility on V&I volume, program spend, employee satisfaction, provider SLA’s and quality assurance
- Oversee preparation of program activity tracking & reporting includingmetrics and trends
- Analyze high-level summaries of program activity and prepare report for Mobility leadership
- This role has a high level of visibility and requires the ability to interact confidentially and professionally with all levels of the organization
- Exercise sound judgment and escalate issues as appropriate.
- Oversee proper maintenance of all visa and immigration files and records including public access file requirements
- Supervise staff in reconciliation and preparation of invoice processing
- Supervise staff in maintenance of program materials & web content
- Overall supervision and training of staff to support their development
- Cross-train and support other Global Mobility roles
The ideal candidate will be:
- A business-minded professional with several years of increasing responsibilities in the area of visa and immigration with demonstrated ability to thrive in a culture that is collaborative, service-oriented, and administrative.
- A functional visa/immigration specialist who delivers services with a pragmatic approach to business partnership and operations.
- Experienced in prioritization and negotiationwith demonstrated ability to be effective in supporting multiple business leaders/partners working across different business units.
- Collaborative and action-oriented, with ability to influence outcomes and lead change.
- Confident with strong personal initiative and someone who is willing to get out in the field, roll up their sleeves, and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Operationally focused with ability to think strategically and deliver tactically.
- Metrics-focused with ability to use analytics to solve problems and develop solutions.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Past experiencemanaging nonimmigrant (H, L, E, TN) and immigrant (PERM, I-140, I-485) cases;
- Preferred experience with I-9 compliance
- Multinational immigration delivery services experience preferred
- Experience managing large volumes of immigration caseloads (75-100 cases)
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to use sound judgment to drive complex issues to resolution
- Demonstrated flexibility working in a dynamic and rapidly changing organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to empathize with employees
- A reputation for discretion, integrity, judgment, responsiveness, and strong attention to detail
- Ability to influence other to achieve results
- Demonstrated passion for delivering a great customer experience
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to country norms, global cultures and practices
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks concurrently with emphasis on attention to detail
- A highly motivated self-started able to work with minimal supervision
- An approachable coach and mentor to staff and peers
- Solid PC skills with proficiency in MS Office
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visitwww.gt.com.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd., one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenues in excess of $1.3 billion and operates 58 offices across the U.S., with more than 565 partners and 8,000 employees.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly- and privately-held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically — whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
It is Grant Thornton’s policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Title: Global Mobility Senior Associate
Requisition ID: 040987