General Motors Mainframe Developer - INF0021796 in Atlanta, Georgia
About the Team:
Our Mainframe Application Development team supports many projects within GM in a distributed Global environment. This team is a Centre of Excellence driving application upgrades moving to a Parallel Sysplex environment. The new environment delivers the latest tools including Zowe Open Source Software enabling a modern developer desktop with source code control using GIT, and tool chains supporting a DevOps delivery approach. The team will support all vertical functions in GM providing application development, upgrades and support.
About the Role:
This Mainframe Developer will be responsible for new application development and support. The role will include estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing, deployment, code debugging and job scheduling. In addition, the Developer will mentor, develop and assign work to junior developers. L3 support will be a project requirement. This developer will work in a highly collaborative and increasingly Agile environment and will assume a key role for various new solutions within GM’s business.
This is a role that would suit someone with at least 10 years of Mainframe skills, who is a strong team player with a positive, confident attitude and a flexible approach.
- Communicate effectively with a positive and confident attitude
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Mentor junior team members and apprentices
- Design and oversee development of quality code in a timely manner
- Estimate, and design small increments of work for Junior developers
- Perform root cause analysis and quick prototypes
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks consistently following the specified software development methodology
- Promote improvements in lean software engineering practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
Prospective candidates will need creativity, decision-making skills, a drive for results, the ability to develop peer relationships, a strong technical learning capability, excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic. In addition, the candidate will possess some or all of the following skills:
- Fully-qualified individual contributor who has knowledge and understanding of all aspects of function
- Ability to operate with a high level of independent judgment and are typically responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management
- Broad technical knowledge, training and understanding combined with creative and independent thinking
- Proficiency in many technical functions and ability to integrate across disciplines and platforms
- Performs complex assignments requiring a wider application of principles, theories and concepts
- Ability to interact with senior internal and external personnel
- Ability to lead and provide direction to a team of professionals
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s in Computer Science (or related field) or an equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience is required.
Technical Skills Required:
Developer with a combination of skills in some (or all) of the following:
- PL/1 and/or COBOL
- ISPF Panels, CLIST, Skeletons, REXX
- Endevor (or another source code control system such as Panvalet
- IBM Developer for z Systems
- Agile, SCRUM, KANBAN, SAFe methodologies
- Midrange platforms
- Basic Assembler Language
- General Motors Jobs